Wednesday, October 10, 2007

It's Wednesday...

and I owe you a blog post. I don't know what to write about. I'm discombobulated. I can't even explain why. Obviously, I've got a lot on my plate: a job that, I've been assured, will be "new" for at least the rest of this year; all those pesky kids, the hubby and, shall we not forget the $200K monkey on our back in West Michigan. I guess "overwhelmed" would not be too strong of a word, you know? It seems like it never ends and will never get better. I'm not depressed or anything - not even taking my happy pills believe it or not. I'm...resigned.

And then, I get pictures. JP sends me a picture of a little boy who will hopefully be her son next year. I'm thrilled for her. Her e-mail guides me to a website with lots and lots of descriptions of kids that need families. That always haunts me. Then, these two descriptions:

75004: This is Nargiza and she is from Kyrgyzstan. I am attaching the picture we have of her as well as her medical information. We have had two families (that recently traveled to adopt other children) write up a description of her to help her get placed. Here they are:
Family A said: "Nargiza was a little spitfire, absolutely full of life & she could get really wound up! I don't know how she is mentally, but that little one is very affectionate and loving. She wanted to play with all of us, and simply adored bubbles. She sat down and looked at the picture book I brought for anara the first day and loved it. She did walk oddly (like she'd been riding on a horse or maybe she's just very bowlegged...), and seemed to have a curve in her back/shoulder area when I placed my hand on her."
Family B said: "She's a handful!!!!! Anyone who has spent more than 30 seconds in Beck's house will know who Nargiza is... the staff tends to be reprimanding her frequently. The kid is absolutely over-flowing with life! She's extremely inquisitive about everything and never misses a chance to be picked up by any and all visitors. In fact, she was the first kid in my arms on my first visit. There is definitely something going on with her, physically. Her hips seemed to be spread in such a way that her legs are even with her shoulders, meaning her legs seem to be spread apart, so she kinda walks like John Wayne. Hilary (Family A) said she felt some sort of mass on her back."

75005: This is Indira and she is also from Kyrgyzstan. I am attaching the picture we have of her as well as her medical information. We have had two families (that recently traveled to adopt other children) write up a description of her to help her get placed. Here they are:
Family A said: "Indira seemed like there could be something not quite right...her head seemed a little on the large side. I would not say that she is seriously retarded. I'm not a doctor and I don't know what to look for specifically. She joined in with the other kids when there was a new activity like the bubbles, chips, or balloons. She was more quiet and reserved but very sweet."
Family B said: "Indira tends to be more quiet, self-sufficient. She enjoyed the bubbles. Because of her quiet (but I wouldn't call her timid at all) nature I didn't get to interact with her as much."

And these two pictures:
Nargiza:


And Indira:



Do they touch my heart because they're adorable or just because they're kids who need a family? Little Nargiza sounds like a female version of the Khan!

So here I sit. Broke and getting more broke and I feel called to adopt these kids. Why? To keep up with the P's? (I've got six - her three are beat 2 to 1, so that's not it!). What the hell is it? How the hell are we ever going to be able to afford this? How do I get my mind off it?

4 comments:

janiece said...

I think you might be ok. One of the families who meet AJ has heard from some people that are interested in the girls.
And I'm the one corrupting you??? Pot calling the kettle black???

Tal said...

I wouldn't call it corrupting, and at the risk of being too supportive, I'm not sure you shuold get your mind off it it.

They're both so sweet, although I have to admit that the descriptions bothered me. Beautiful names too.

I get resigned btw. I totally get it.

Ian said...

Resigned... that's a good word.

I'll just echo what Tal said. I don't like those descriptions - they sound kind of cruel - but if you can afford it and you really do want more kids, then go for it. But make sure you can do it.

Lisa said...

Ian, it's the affording it part. Evidently an MBA in La Crosse WI is worth about half what it would be anywhere else.